“Dining” is one of the most popular etiquette topics, as most people aren’t accustomed to seeing a formal place setting on a regular basis. This can be intimidating, but fear not. Learning the fundamentals of dining etiquette will put you at ease and allow you to focus on enjoying the fine food and sparkling company instead of worrying which fork to use or where to put your napkin.
Whether at a cocktail party with passed hors d’oeuvres, a formal dinner or a buffet luncheon, Polite Society’s dining etiquette training courses in Chicago will prepare you to approach the occasion with ease and confidence.
This comprehensive dining etiquette course takes place during the day, and over a formal lunch. This will teach you how to navigate a place setting and dine with ease in either the western or continental style. Topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Table Settings — Learn how to set a table with the precisely correct arrangement of cutlery, serving utensils and glassware.
- Table Etiquette Fundamentals — Master the basics of proper table etiquette for socializing, dating, family gatherings, business dinners and more.
- Napkin Etiquette —Learn where to place your napkin during the meal and when you excuse yourself.
- Forks, Spoons, Knives and Glasses — Learn how to wield cutlery and stemware like a pro.
- Tricky Foods — Master the proper techniques for devouring notoriously sloppy foods such as spaghetti, corn on the cob and sushi with poise.
- Speeches and Toasts — Find out when to toast and how to politely get the crowd’s attention.
- Wine Pairings — Discover which types of wines work well in most situations.
- Styles of Table Service — Learn the differences between family style, a la carte, buffet and hors d’oeuvres service.
- Seating Placement — Discover the cues of when to sit and the proper order of seating guests when you host a dinner party.
- Hosting a Dinner Party — Master the responsibilities and skills of a great host, including greeting guests, accepting gifts and giving directions to food and drinks.
This afternoon session covers the history of this age-old tradition and all of the necessities of tea etiquette. While enjoying afternoon tea, cakes, and sandwiches in the traditional formal tea setting, you will learn the British subtleties and acquire the poise, grace, and confidence to have tea with the Queen.
The Business Lunch
Sharing a meal with clients or colleagues can be a wonderful opportunity to develop and strengthen relationships. “Breaking Bread” in a professional setting gives you a chance to see people in a different light, and it is important as a professional to make people feel comfortable. Feeling comfortable and confident comes with knowing dining etiquette and appropriate behavior when dining in business situations.
This course is perfect for any professional and is a private session that can take place during the lunch hour(s). Topics include, but are not limited to:
- Dining Etiquette (Western and Continental Styles)
- Table Etiquette Fundamentals (Place Setting, Napkin, Tricky Foods)
- Formal Dining
- Appropriate Conversation
- Ordering Wine
- Speeches and Toasts
The Importance of Dining Etiquette and What It Says About You
Dining etiquette reveals important aspects of one’s character and competence. The way you consume food and act at the table reflects the way you behave in life — a formal dinner is a true test of character. When you’ve mastered the finer points of dining protocol, you appear confident and knowledgeable to your family, friends, prospective business colleagues and guests. You’ll be extended more cordial dinner invitations and earn the respect of others. Lack of etiquette, or even innocent ignorance of the rules, puts one at a disadvantage, especially as you navigate the career world. You can prepare yourself for dining occasions at home, in someone else’s house and in more formal settings, such as restaurants, with our formal dining etiquette training in Chicago.
Dispel Your Dining Despair With Polite Society
Dignified dining at its best — that’s what you’ll experience when you enroll in our dining etiquette classes in Chicago. We’ll be your guide to food and drink, so sit up straight and elbows off the table, please. The dreaded dinner invitation will no longer intimidate once you learn how to master the plated dinner, how to properly place your napkin and the polite way to grasp the appropriate utensil. Our Chicago dining etiquette courses will teach you appropriate table manners for both social and professional settings, so you’ll discern how to maintain good conduct anywhere you feast. Ready to transform yourself into a posh dinner guest or host? Save yourself from making a dining faux pas with our dining etiquette training in Chicago.
Polite Society is the best source for learning etiquette in Chicago. Contact us today to learn more about our courses.